The ##unity## of the Church is essential to the ##mission## of the Church.
If ##possible## , as far as it ##depends## on ##you##, live at ##peace## with ##everyone## . – Romans 12:18
Small Group Questions
Use this outline for personal reflection, as a couples or family devotion, or with a small group.
Why is communication critical to a healthy relationship? What can happen to a relationship that lacks healthy communication? What is the relationship between time and communication? Read Chapter 6 of An Unhurried Life by Alan Fadling to dive deeper into this subject.
Read Matthew 11:28-30 in the ESV and from The Message
- What do you find most comforting about Jesus’ words? What do you find most challenging?
- How did Jesus initially call His disciples? (See Matthew 4:19). What does Matthew 11 tell us about how Jesus will make His followers fishers of men?
Read Mark 1:35
- Based on this verse, what does it look like to “follow Jesus”?
- For some, following Jesus only includes vague ideas of following His moral example or His work. Discuss some of the practical rhythms of Jesus’ life. What would it look like to follow His example in these areas?
Read Mark 6:46-47
- The Gospels frequently tell us that Jesus started his day with solitude and prayer. What is different about this passage?
- When and how do you best communicate with God?
- What are some practical ideas for following Jesus’ example of prayer and reflection in the rhythm of your daily schedule?
Discuss 85 Days of Prayer (January 7-March 31). How might your group participate in this season of prayer? Talk about it, invite accountability, and take time to pray.
As you follow this week’s reading plan, invite the Holy Spirit to reveal any disunity in the Body of Christ and to show you how you might be a part of the ministry of reconciliation.
- Day 1: Philippians 2
- Day 2: Philippians 4
- Day 3: Psalm 133
- Day 4: Romans 12
- Day 5: Ephesians 4
- Day 6: 1 Corinthians 12 & 13
- Day 7: John 17
- How might disunity and division in a Church affect the Church’s mission?
- Is there a division between you and another one of Jesus’ followers?
- What will you do this week to be reconciled to that person?
Forgive: Why Should I and How Can I? by Tim Keller
Confess Your Sins: The Way of Reconciliation, by John Stott
An Unhurried Life, Alan Fadling
Check out these and other books from our suggested reading list at https://bit.ly/AspireSMB.